Monday, October 11, 2010

Finding Your Purpose

Why do you try to save money? You should? You must? You want to? You need a tangible goal. Something that excites you. What is something you -really- want to do that you feel you simply don't have the money to do? Make it something good. Make it realistic, but a stretch. This will light your tightwad fire.

I'm hoping this blog will inspire you to find the room in your budget to do what your heart desires. It will take discipline, however discipline will be heartily rewarded. Think about your goal and feel free to share. Most often, my goal is travel. It is indulgent, a want and not a need...and one of the things I love most. But it lights my fire and keeps me on track in my spending. Everyone's priorities will be different. I'd rather wear clothes full of holes and be able to travel the world than have a closet full of new clothes. I'd rather buy organic and local food, but I know I need to keep within my $100/week food budget, so I do the best I can within that. Yes, life's needs can get us sidetracked, but with an eye on a goal, we can adjust our timeline and still make it happen.

I hope that we will be able to share here ways to:
  • Save Money
  • Do Without (and feel awesome about it)
  • Fulfill our dreams, while being financially secure and responsible
We live as debt free as possible. Just having a mortgage makes me uncomfortable. But despite that, I do need a more exciting goal than being mortgage free...so I declare my goal to be England in February, as we just got an invitation to a friend's wedding. Double decker buses, hard cider, playgrounds and giant parks, British accents, vegetarian restaurants, mmmm...

3 comments:

  1. Kim, great looking and purposeful blog! Travel is my inspiration to save also. I used to do it quite often, but since the birth of the farm and Stella, I have not been going anywhere. I want to change that! Thanks for offering this support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about that more after reading your blog! I have a friend in Italy... so that is on the list and I've never been to Europe. Farms in France, too. Trying to think of a travel goal with my old travel buddy, Sarah, too. Possibly Indonesia. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete