Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ceiling Fans...Friend or Foe in the Winter?

Ceiling fans can be such a blessing in the summer when it is boiling outside and you just want to lie immobile under them. They cost just less than $13/month to run constantly, per unit. It usually never makes sense to have fans running, unless you are in the room with them. If you keep them running and you leave the room, you are wasting $13/month per unit. (Calculate you exact usage with the title link). Fans are for people not for rooms...even in Winter...

Why am I writing about fans now, as I shiver in my layers in my 60 degree house?  I am again pondering if it makes sense to run the fan in the winter.  I have decided it will only make sense once the heat is on more often. With the research I've done online, keeping it on low, not any higher, may make sense for spreading heat. Any higher, you are using way too much extra energy (and my insanely efficient fan uses only 3 watts on low, and I worry!), and you will be providing yourself with an extra chill.   To put your fan on in the correct Winter direction, make sure you fan is going clockwise and put it on low once you are using your heat more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment